Watauga County Schools
Job Title: Director of Student Services
1. Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university. Advanced Degree preferred.
2. Demonstrated leadership, administrative, management, and supervision skills.
3. Prior successful experience in the student services field (counseling, social work, nursing) and in a school setting.
4. Experience, awareness, and compliance with local, state, and federal requirements, guidelines, legislation, ethical practices, and policies relating to student services.
5. Expertise in school counseling, social work, nursing, juvenile justice, and mental health fields.
6. Strong interpersonal, communication, teambuilding skills.
7. Preferred skills: bilingual (Spanish) and knowledge of community agencies.
Reports To: Superintendent
Term of Employment: 12 months
Salary: Administrative Level with local supplement
1. Provide leadership in all areas of student services, including but not limited to, counseling, school social work, safe and drug free schools, drop-out intervention and prevention, school health, and homeless services.
2. Provide leadership in all areas of student attendance, including but not limited to, enrollment, school assignment, student discipline, appeals, transfers, due process, and hearings.
3. Provide leadership in all areas relating to district-agency interactions, including but not limited to, NC Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI), Department of Social Services (DSS), Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Western Youth Network (WYN), Daymark, and the School Health Advisory Council (SHAC).
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Coordinates student services programs relating to guidance counselors, social workers, and nurses. Facilitates meetings and trainings for guidance counselors, social workers, and nurses.
· Directs a program to provide counseling for individuals and groups of students and parents.
· Directs a program to provide alcohol and drug education for K-12.
· Consults with teachers, administrators, and educational services personnel on matters relating to guidance and student services resources.
· Coordinates student enrollment, assignment, appeals, transfers, due process, and hearings.
· Coordinates the logistical aspect of school safety within the district.
· Assesses needs in the area of student services and coordinates adequate resources or interventions to school personnel, parents, and the community.
· Furnishes leadership in promoting sound mental health practices in all aspects of the school system.
· Provides consultation and in-service experiences for teachers and staff and engages in the mutual exchange of information with community agencies.
· Develops and coordinates the dropout prevention program.
· Prepares local, state, and federal reports, contracts, budgets, and presentations as required.
· Attends regional and state professional meetings related to position and shares appropriate information with administrators, teachers, and parents.
· Coordinates the district-wide student attendance program.
· Understands and assists schools with the implementation of FERPA guidelines.
· Oversees implementation of McKinney-Vento Homeless Act, migrant education, and services to identified children.
· Directs the homebound general education program.
· Attends all Board of Education meetings.
· Performs such other tasks and assumes such other responsibilities as the superintendent or his/her designee may assign.
Evaluation: Job performance will be evaluated annually in accordance with state and local Board of Education policies.
Application Process: Interested candidates should apply online. The application can be accessed through the Watauga County Schools website (Employment – Opportunities).