From the American School Counselor Association:
Our hearts go out to all those affected by Hurricane Sandy. As students begin to make their way back to school and routines, school counselors will be called on to help many of them deal with the aftermath of the storm. ASCA has gathered a number of resources to help you work with students during this time.
- Try and keep routines as normal as possible. Kids gain security from the predictability of routine, including attending school.
- Limit exposure to television and the news.
- Be honest with kids and share with them as much information as they are developmentally able to handle.
- Listen to kids' fears and concerns.
- Reassure kids that the world is a good place to be, but sometimes bad things happen.
- Parents and adults need to first deal with and assess their own responses to crisis and stress.
- Rebuild and reaffirm attachments and relationships.
Click here for resources.