Dear Graduate Students and New Professionals,
ACA really enjoys paying as much attention as we can to graduate students and new professionals and we need your help to do so.
An important ACA initiative is our special For Graduate Students and New Professionals Only conference series. Each year at the annual conference, ACA provides education sessions by some of the most famous authors, theorists, and leaders in professional counseling on topics specifically chosen by graduate students and new professionals. Previous For Graduate Students and New Professionals Onlypresentations have included:
- Patricia Arredondo Making the Most of Supervision.
- Gerald Corey Finding a Meaningful Life After Graduate School.
- Gerald Corey,
& Jamie Bludworth Becoming a Professional Counselor
· Rebecca Insider Tips: Landing That First Counseling Job.
Finding a Counseling Job in This Lousy Economy.
· Marcheta Evans What Graduate Students and New Professionals Need to Know About Mindfulness.
- Jo-Ann Lipford
What Graduate Students and New Professionals Need to Know About the Current State of Multiculturalism.
- Carman Gill &
Stephanie Dailey Got Spirit? Our Clients Do.
- Sam Gladding What Graduate Students and New Professionals Need to Know About Humor in Counseling.
- Sam Gladding &
Donna Henderson Keeping the Boundaries From Breaking in Counselor Education: Professor/Student Relationships.
- Jane Goodman Master Teaching Techniques for Rookie Counselor Educators.
- Allen & Mary Ivey What Graduate Students and New Professionals Need to Know About Neuroscience.
- Marty Jencius What Graduate Students and New Professionals Need to Know About Social Media.
- Jeffrey Kottler What Can I Do With My Counseling Degree? Career Options for Graduate Students and New Professionals.
- Courtland Lee Let Your Degree be Your Passport: International Opportunities for Graduate Students and New Professionals.
- Lynn Linde Office Politics 101.
- Sandra Lopez-Baez Practical Pointers for Graduate Students and Professionals.
- Deborah Legge Preparing Graduate students and New Professionals for Success in Private Practice.
- Chris Moll
From Backpacks to Briefcases: Making the Transition From Graduate Student to Professional Counselor.
- Jane Myers Wellness & Self-Care for Graduate Students and New Professionals.
- Beverly O’Bryant Knowing me, Supporting Me, and Marketing Me.
- Cynthia Osborne,
Pamela Paisley &
Jack Culbreth How to Find Post-Grad Supervision on a Shoestring Budget.
- Mark Pope How to Get Through Your Dissertation (and Graduate).
- Anneliese Singh “Do Ask, Do Tell”: Current LGBTQ Issues in Counseling for Graduate Students and New Professionals.
- Don W. Locke Building Skills and Advocating for the Counseling Profession.
ACA needs your help in determining the lineup for the 2014 ACA conference in Hawaii next March. We would love to have you respond to the following two questions:
- Other than a faculty member in your own program, who is a famous counselor that you would enjoy seeing (and meeting) at the conference? Who is the person
most likely to get the following reaction from you: “I can’t believe I’m seeing her/him in person!”
- What topic(s) would you like to see at the 2014 conference for the For Graduate Students and New Professionals Only series? Most of our student attendees are enrolled
in master’s degree programs, so while we certainly want doctoral level related programs, we are especially desirous of topics that are meaningful to master’s level students
and new professionals.
ACA thanks you for your willingness to help construct the 2014 For Graduate Students and New Professionals Only series. The ACA conference is the world’s largest conference for professional counselors (3,500 attended the Cincinnati conference last month) and we hope that everyone can come to Hawaii. For information on the conference – including how to submit a proposal before the June 5th deadline- visitwww.counseling.org/conference. Even if you can’t attend we still would love to have your ideas for the series.
You can send your thoughts directly to ACA at email@example.com.
ACA Chief Professional Officer