The FGCU Department of Counseling is
pleased to announce a new postmaster’s opportunity for professionals in counseling or a closely related practice field who have a master’s degree and may already be licensed in a related profession: Relationship and Family Counseling.
What and When? Starting with a course in the Fall of 2017, MHS 6445 Introduction to Relationship and Family Counseling on Tuesday evenings, students can decide to apply for and complete a full certificate or simply add the knowledge to their professional practice from this individual course.
Why? Over the years, student, community, and alumni demand has grown. Now, with a minimum of 12 graduate credits, students in this non-degree certificate can add the knowledge and competencies of relationship and family counseling to their current practice and potentially add a Florida license in Marriage and Family Therapy (see http://floridasmentalhealthprofessions.gov/licensing/ for more information).
How? To take the course you must submit a FGCU Post-Baccalaureate Non-Degree Application to the Office of Graduate Admissions, provide proof of prior master’s degree in counseling or a related field (transcripts) and documentation of any counseling certification or license held in Florida or any other U.S. state, if applicable. This is the same documentation needed to apply for admission to the full certificate program. For information, see http://www.fgcu.edu/Graduate/applicant-types.html.
Questions? For more information: contact Dr. Molli Bachenberg, email@example.com or 239 590-7798 or firstname.lastname@example.org, 239-745-4723 or me for information about the program or to register for the fall course. Space will be limited.
Madelyn L. Isaacs, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
- MHS 6445 Introduction to Relationship and Family Systems (3) Starting in Fall 2017
- MHS 6435 Family Counseling Theory and Techniques (3)
- MHS 6444 Relationship/Marriage Counseling Theory and Techniques (3)
At least one course from among Clinical Mental Health Counseling program course inventory under advisement:
- MHS 6021 Introduction to Clinical Mental Health Counseling (3)
- MHS 6070 Mental Disorders (3)
- MHS 6450 Issues in Addictions and Abuse (3)
- MHS 6470 Human Sexuality (3)
- MHS 6466 Trauma and Crisis Intervention: Theory & Practice (3)
- MHS 6422 Theory and Techniques of Play Therapy (3)
- MHS 6073 Counseling Children and Adolescents: Building Resilience (3)
- MHS Internship (1-3)