About the Job
The counselor will provide school counseling services at our K-12 school in accordance with contract specifics and school policies and procedures. As a Catholic Christian educational organization, familiarity and openness to Church teaching and a desire to support students in becoming disciples of Jesus Christ is essential.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Individual, small group and classroom guidance (when appropriate) counseling with students, with signed parental consent. Counseling may focus on academic, emotional, behavioral, or developmental issues to promote enhanced school functioning. Consult with parents, classroom teachers, school principal and other school personnel to maximize effectiveness of services, as appropriate.
- When requested and appropriate to a specific contract, perform learning assessments to examine the learning styles, strengths, and weaknesses of a student to give school personnel and parents more information about a child's academic performance and to ascertain the need for further referral. Serve as a resource consultant to parents and school personnel in locating services within the community to help meet the needs of individual students or families.
- Counselors will provide learning assessments to establish achievement, visual-motor and cognitive abilities. Counselors will then interpret and share the results with parents and appropriate school personnel. Be knowledgeable concerning all rules and procedures as established by the individual school.
- Meet with students and parents re: social, academic and career issues.
- Transcripts data processing for transfer students to ensure compliance with state course requirements.
- PSAT/SAT and ACT coordinator -- Ordering, administering and processing exams. Obtaining results of exams for distribution and analysis, inclusive of homeschool students, and students with disabilities.
- IOWA testing coordinator -- Ordering, administering and processing exams. Obtaining results of exams for distribution and analysis producing a statistical report for parents and school administration.
- McKay Scholarship coordinator.
- Individual. Education Plan (IEP) classroom accommodations liaison to faculty.
- Conflict resolution mediator.
- Classroom presentations on issues of concern.
- College representative visits coordinator.
- Florida Virtual School Coordinator.
- Consultant liaison – psychological services
- Financial Aid Night liaison.
- College Corner – maintain and keep current College Corner in media center.
- Liaison to CCPS for students referred for special education.
- Classroom visits to distribute PSAT results and to disseminate information to juniors, seniors re colleges, applications, scholarships, etc. Harvard Book Club Selection.
- National Honor Society Liaison.
- Kindergarten testing and orientation day in coordination with lead teacher.
- Dual enrollment with AMU liaison for juniors and seniors.
- Common application college portal administrator.
- Academic awards coordinator.
- Bright Futures coordinator.
- Service Club Advisor.
- Peer Tutoring advisor.
- Designated School Official (DSO) for I-20 forms for foreign students.
- AMU work-study program liaison.
- Catholic Schools Week activities co-coordinator.
- Open House co-coordinator.
- International Education Opportunities (IEO) coordinator.
- Gateways French Connections Student Exchange Program coordinator.
- Private School Certification Data Processing coordinator for state report.
- Complete all required paperwork in an accurate and timely manner.
- Keep abreast of current changes and trends in the field of school counseling.
STUDENT EXCEPTIONALITIES COORDINATOR
- Assist in identifying a need by a student in a particular area, evaluating out of school assessments and diagnostics for potential learning differences.
- Arranging for or engaging in one-on-one work with a student, ranging from designing, implementing and following up on an Academic Intervention Plan to making test accommodations, such as reading and dictating tests.
- Work with classroom teachers by sharing best practice methods with them and providing professional in-services which include strategies for gifted and talented students and students with learning differences.
TITLE FUNDS COORDINATOR.
- Communicating, implementing, and following up on services provided by federal programs such as Title One, Title Two, Title Four, and USF Funding.
For questions, contact Susan Nutt at SusanNutt.K12@avemaria.edu